A 20-year-old who posted a video on TikTok saying he crossed the Auckland border because he wanted McDonald’s has been charged by police.

Superintendent Shanan Gray said the charge was brought after a video was released showing people allegedly leaving Auckland for fast food.

The video, which was uploaded to TikTok on Monday, showed at least two people passing a border checkpoint before purchasing a large amount of food from McDonald’s.

A caption on the video read: “We were craving McDonald’s so we decided to take a trip out of Auckland, that’s how it went.”

READ MORE:
* Covid-19 lockdown presser at 1 p.m. was as good as any daytime soap opera
* Covid-19: Auckland will go to alert level 2 on Sunday, 7-day “wise approach” restriction
* The government spent $ 1.3 million on Covid-19 ads in two weeks, but did it miss the mark?

He was withdrawn Monday evening.

The TikTok user said in the video that he

SCREENSHOT

The TikTok user said in the video that he “craves” McDonald’s.

When contacted by Thing, the man said: “I’ve had loads of McDonalds for my family and friends, it had been ages since I last went there.”

Gray said the person who posted the video has been identified and questioned.

“We first told the police that the video was made just to have views, [and] they were actually doing essential work in the Waikāto area and stopped to eat on the way back.

“However, as a result of numerous investigations, it was established that no essential work was in progress.”

Police were first informed that the video was for views only and was in fact in Waikāto for essential purposes.

SCREENSHOT

Police were first informed that the video was for views only and was in fact in Waikāto for essential purposes.

Instead, Gray said the people in the video used their essential work exemption to visit a fast food restaurant.

“This is not a permitted reason to cross an alert level limit,” Gray said.

“The police are incredibly disappointed with the choices made by those involved and blatant disregard for the current restrictions will not be tolerated.”

The majority of people were doing the right thing, Gray said, and such cases would “no doubt” be frustrating for the general public.

Police said the people used their essential work permits to cross the border and get to the fast food restaurant.

SCREENSHOT

Police said people used their essential work permits to cross the border and get to fast food.

As of 11:59 p.m. Wednesday, 133,485 vehicles had been stopped at 10 checkpoints north and south of Auckland.

Just over 1,500 had been returned.

Of 16,238 vehicles stopped Wednesday, 148 were not moving for essential reasons.

Since Alert Level 4 restrictions are back in place in Auckland, 75 people have been charged with 79 offenses, police said.

A total of 170 people have been formally notified.

A 20-year-old man suspected of being involved in the McDonald’s offense has been summoned for breach of a Covid-19 health ordinance.

He was due to appear in Manukau District Court on October 6.


Source link

About The Author

Related Posts